Saturday 28 December 2013

Scrapbook Page - Mum

I just haven't got around to blogging for so long - I am a very bad person.  It has been a very difficult year.   Mum was gradually getting older and frailer at the beginning of the year and lost her battle in June.  I had an operation in August. My dog Sparky has had to have a tumour removed - but looks to be in the clear now.  Work has also been busy.  Anyway I am here now and will try to catch up on a few projects.  I have continued to make things but not alway remembering to photo them.  I am thinking I would like to take up patchwork quilt making - would love to have a go!!! 

One of my new year resolutions will be to do more scrapbooking - I love to be able to take time choosing papers and matching embellishments to go with the photos and to recall the time and emotions of the photos.  I am often put off as I get so many bits and bobs out and then have to tidy up after. I am alway wanting things finished before I am started - you know like reading the last page of the book half way through...?  I am impatient but need to readjust and realise that the enjoyment is in the process, the journey and not just the final outcome.  

This scrapbook page is of my Mum Elsie.  She was a great friend and was so funny and such a determined person.  Even though she was becoming weaker every week she would still try to walk up to see me (about 1/2 mile) whenever she could and she would alway want to pop into town (a few hundred yards from her flat) to get some shopping rather than ask me.  In the photo she is wearing a pretty hat my niece crocheted for her - now mum was never a hat person and I can't remember seeing her wear hats (we have round faces not best suited to hats).  She also didn't like having her photo taken and so was crying with laughter and making gestures to me.  This is how I remember my time with mum - she walked up for coffee, we had a natter/gossip and a laugh - always a laugh.  Right until the end she would still be having a laugh and a joke with everyone.  

I used papers from my stash.  The title was written and cut with my Silhouette Cameo.  The flowers are cut from a Spellbinders die (I think this is the Anemone).  I also used a flourish die from my collection.  The flowers were shaped and  dabbed with an inkpad and the embossed with a Frantage embossing powder.  I struggled to emboss the strip along the lower edge as found the ink dried too quickly so used a Rollagraph stamp (do you remember these - I used to love them, I know Fiskars now make something similar), but used  Flitter Glue from Indigo Blu dabbed onto the rollagraph stamp and them glitter embossing powder over this.  The brass heart embellishment was also heat embossed to match in with the pink/mauve scheme.  

The finished page.

Spellbinders flower die embossed edges.





Brass heart embossed to match.

Glitter embossing with Flitter Glue to keep stamped image tacky long enough.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to keep the memory of your Mum, the page is wonderful Jacky. I am so sorry to hear of all the things you have had to cope with this year, let's hope that 2014 will be a better one for both of us and that we have a happy and healthy one! All the very best to you. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete